Monday, March 21, 2016

Week 9 Reading Diary: Cherokee Myths

This week I read Cherokee Myths by James Mooney.

I was really excited to read these myths this week! I've always loved Native American tales, so it was really interesting to read about what the Cherokee Tribe believes!

I was really interested in "How The World Was Made" at first glance, because it's always really interesting to read about what different cultures believe about the creation of the world, and it ended up being one of my favorite stories! The Cherokee believe that the Earth is an island that is suspended from the sky vault. They think that once the Earth has grown old, the cords holding it up will break and the entire planet will be submerged in the sea. The Earth used to just be covered in water, overcrowded by bugs who thought that there needed to be more room. This story also had a lot of aspects of the bible. After the men and animals were created, they had to watch over the Earth for seven days and seven nights, which relates back to the Earth being created in seven days. There was also just a brother and sister in the beginning, much like Adam and Eve. I really enjoyed this story!

I also liked "Tobacco and Strawberries". The first part of the story was about how tobacco came back and the second was about where strawberries came from. I really liked the origin of strawberries story. I think it's really interesting that strawberries were created in order to make a woman fall back in love with her husband.



I liked reading about the different Cherokee Myths this week! 

No comments:

Post a Comment