Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Reading Diary Week 11: Nursery Rhymes Continued

Today I did the second part of the British Nursery Tales readings by Andrew Lang.

The second half of this unit was really interesting. My favorite section was the "Love and Matrimony" rhymes, just because I always think that nursery rhymes about love are funny and unique. A lot of these rhymes were also kind of dark, which I thought was different because you'd think that nursery rhymes about love would be super upbeat and positive. I also didn't recognize most of the rhymes, besides Jack and Jill, so it was kind of cool to go through and read the different rhymes. many of these rhymes are short and sweet, which make them very easy and fun to read. The "Jack and Jill" rhyme was exactly the same as the one I heard growing up, which isn't very surprising since it's a very short rhyme. I think it's funny because it doesn't really seem like a love rhyme, since it just ends with them tumbling down the hill. I thought that the rhyme about the husband selling his wife for a "minikin pin".



There were so many rhymes in this unit and they were all very unique and had a lot of character to them. I thought it was different that a lot of them didn't actually rhyme or make any sense. They used a lot of language that I didn't understand, so that made it kind of confusing when it came to reading some of the poems, but that could be due to the fact that I don't understand the British slang. I enjoyed reading this unit.

No comments:

Post a Comment