Monday, January 18, 2016

Hawaii. My favorite place

My family and I have been to Hawaii twice, and I can definitely say that it's my favorite place to visit. We do a lot of hiking, adventuring, and, of course, we spend a lot of lazy days on the beach while there. This past summer we went to Maui, which is a lot different from Honolulu, which we went to back when I was in high school.




(The Beautiful Maui Coast: Wikimedia Commons)

There are so many activities to do in Hawaii, all while submerging yourself in the amazing island culture. We were able to hike the Halekala Volcano, where the sky was clear enough that we could see the Big Island, go on a submarine and see an amazing amount of fish, sharks and even an eel. I had never been in a submarine before, so it definitely was a unique experience.  We also spent a crazy day driving on the road to Hana, which is known for its hairpin turns and amazing views. Besides the land activities,  My sister and I also spent over two hours paddle boarding and were able to see wild sea turtles and enjoy a calm day on the ocean. While all of the different activities were fun, one of my favorite activities was attending a luau and learning about the history and folklore surrounding the island. We learned the important Hawaiian values, the traditional dances, and ate authentic food. I loved seeing all the beautiful outfits and watching the amazing cultural dances. We were able to talk to native Hawaiians and hear why they love their island and why their culture is so important to them. I think learning about different cultures is one of the most interesting, and important, things about traveling to a new place, and really enjoyed being submerged in the culture.


(Personal image of the Maui coast from my vacation to Hawaii in 2015) 


(Personal image of the Halekala Volcano from my vacation to Hawaii in 2015) 



(Personal image from submarine trip during my vacation to Hawaii in 2015) 



Hawaii was one of the prettiest and most adventurous vacations I've ever been on, and I can't wait until I'm able to go back.

4 comments:

  1. Ohhhh, Jessica, Hawaii! It is an AMAZING place, and what beautiful photos you included here. I went to my freshman year of high school there; we lived on Oahu (my dad had a one-year job at the university). Would you be interested in doing a Hawaii project for this class? There are some fascinating online resources at Sacred Texts, both for Hawaii and for Pacific Islander mythology in general: Pacific Islander Religions, with a special section just for Hawaii. I am sure the other students would really enjoy learning about that too if you decide to make Hawaiian traditions your project for class!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never been to Hawaii before but I hope I can visit sometime in the future! It seems like such a wonderful place to be. I’m not sure if I could come back after visiting a place like that.

    I agree with you that learning about another culture is one of the most interesting and important things you can do while traveling. It really opens your eyes and gives you a different perspective on the way people live.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What beautiful pictures! That sounds like an awesome vacation; it's totally on my bucket list to go to Hawaii but this post makes me want to buy tickets to go next week...or maybe tomorrow...learning about the culture sounds like it was a really amazing experience for you, and I agree that it's one of the coolest and most important things to do while traveling. Also driving around new places and going to beaches are two of my favorite things to do, and it sounds like both are really great things to do in Hawaii! I really enjoyed reading your post, and I hope you get to go back again soon...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Jessica! I am so jealous you have been to Hawaii; that’s somewhere I have always wanted to go! I think it is especially neat to get to go back somewhere you love and experience more of it. I think it is so cool that you learned a lot about the culture while you were there! I think that is definitely an important aspect of vacationing. I have never been in a submarine but that sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete