Tuesday, January 19, 2016

My Storybook Favorites

I really enjoyed getting to go through some of the storybooks! Below are three of my favorite that I came across.

My Brothers Grimm: The Diary of the Only Grimm Sister This storybook immediately caught my eye because I loved reading the Brothers Grimm stories while growing up, even though they were sometimes kind of scary. The Grimm Brothers are so popular for their gory fairytales, and you really only think of them as a duo. You never even think that they could have had other family members because you think that it's just the two of them. I love that the introduction talks about Charlotte Grimm and gives a different person's perspective of the brothers and how their stories relate to her life. The design follows the dark theme of the Brothers Grimm stories, which is perfect for setting the scene for some of the gory things Charlotte saw. I really like the navigation of the page, and the colors reminded me that my storybook needs to have a consistent feeling throughout. The design has to match the tone of the storybook.



(screenshot of "My Brothers Grimm" storybook)

The Never-Ending Love Story: Love Across Time and Culture I love the magical feeling of this story. The author did an amazing job at making this storybook feel magical and mysterious and using the proper tone to make the love feel timeless. The design is light and the author uses romantic colors that reflect the tone of the entire storybook. It's so interesting that you learn about each of the souls' lives and see how they come together and fall in love in each life. It's really nice that the tabs split the stories up into each of the different lives rather than just be clumped together under one tab. It all flows very well.



(Screenshot of "The Never-Ending Love Story").

Gossip Girl: The Dirt on Hawaii's Elite As one of "Gossip Girls" biggest fans, I love that this storybook took an extremely popular show and changed it to talk about ancient Hawaiians. The title of this storybook immediately caught my attention, reminding me that the title can be just as important as the content of a storybook. The introduction even follows the typical "Gossip Girl" intro, tying into the show even more. The word "spotted" was used to introduce some of the story plot, just like the show. The colors stick to the glamorous "Gossip Girl" theme and I really liked the different fonts that were used. As previously stated, I think it's important to have every aspect of your storybook match, from the colors to the font to the different tones that you use.

No comments:

Post a Comment